VIP Community Services is dedicated to changing lives and transforming our community. We offer a continuum of services to individuals with histories of chemical dependency. Our client-centered approach empowers people to take charge of their lives and discover their personal paths to self-sufficiency.
TITLE: Vocational Counselor
REPORTS TO: Vocational Manager
ABOUT THE ROLE: Provides coordinated vocational services to ensure optimum services are provided to consumers. Collaborates with community providers to ensure consumers have opportunities for employment in the community and support them to remain in positions in which they are placed.
- Develop and maintain resource list of business owners in the Bronx and surrounding communities that participate in internship/work program with VIP.
- Develop collaborative relationships with business owners in the Bronx and surrounding communities and inform them of VIP’s workforce needs on an ongoing basis.
- As delegated, screen consumers for employment readiness and develop appropriate training pathways for each consumer.
- Facilitate basic literacy and basic computer classes for consumers.
- Assist consumers with resume writing, job preparation and conduct mock interviews with consumers.
- Provide trainings and/or coordinate trainings and implementation as needed.
- Bachelor’s degree in a social science or related field of study
- Minimum of 3 years’ experience working in the social services field.
- Certified Alcoholism and Substance Abuse Counselor (CASAC), preferred
- Excellent written and oral communication skills.
- Ability to read, write and speak the English language.
- Expert knowledge of computer programs- Microsoft office suite.
- Excellent organizational skills.
- Ability to read, write and speak Spanish, preferred.
Perks Working for VIP:
- Dress down Fridays
- Discount on gym membership
- Tuition reduction rate on continuing education
- Annual holiday party
- Annual staff picnic
- Medical/ Dental/ 403(B)
- Transit discount for parking and MTA
VIP Community Services provide equal employment opportunities to all employees and applicants for employment and prohibits discrimination and harassment of any type without regard to race, color, religion, age, sex, national origin, disability status, genetics, protected veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, or any other characteristic protected by federal, state or local laws.
To apply for this job email your details to firstname.lastname@example.org